Leapfrog Top Hospital Awards
The Leapfrog Group has released its 2016 Top Hospitals* report. Eschewing industry reputation, patient satisfaction and depth & breadth of available clinical services, it instead recognizes and awards hospitals that produce the safest, most effective care in the country.
Leapfrog’s evaluation benchmarks include:
- A hospital must fully meet Leapfrog’s standard for Computerized Physician Order Entry
- A hospital must fully meet Leapfrog’s standard for ICU Physician Staffing
- A hospital must fully meet Leapfrog’s standard on at least 50% of applicable measures
- inpatient care management
- medication safety
- maternity care
- high risk procedures
- infections and injuries
- Hospitals must be ranked in the top of their peer group based on the Value Score
- A hospital must fully comply with Leapfrog’s Never Events Policy
- Apologize to the family
- Waive all costs of treatment
- Report the incident to regulators
- Figure out the root cause of the error
The last portion dealing with Never Events is indicative of how Leapfrog places considerable emphasis on a hospital’s record of patient safety as well as taking responsibility when mistakes are made. The Leapfrog Group considers admitting culpability a major step for a hospital’s own health and good standing.
Early on, Leapfrog hoped that “by shining the light on hospital performance, employers could use their purchasing power to reward the top achievers, and foster a marketplace for high-value care.” They’ve made great strides towards that goal. Leapfrog’s purchaser-driven initiative of public reporting continues to resonate reassuringly in a healthcare field still plagued by issues of transparency.
*The Leapfrog Group’s 2016 Top Hospitals listing can be found here.